Friday, March 16, 2012

Locking Eyes


Delight, oh pure delight. Watching this little man; one day to be a big man, gurgle up uncontrollable laughter as his father tickles, throws and dances him round living room floors! Words are not enough.



Do You feel this way about me, the way I feel about him? Can you not get enough of me, of my laughter? Do you study me the way I study him, dreaming dreams for him and You for me!? It’s so amazing this love.

I was listening this morning to a song that came on Pandora called “Amazed”. This was actually a song played at our wedding and the words, oh the words are so wonderful, wonderful because they’re true! Not empty sentiment but filled, filled to the brim, filled with our Abba’s heart, overflowing!

You dance over me while I am unaware,
You sing all around but I never heard the sound
How wide…how deep….how great is your love for me (Nick DePartee and Phil Wickham)

Does my son know that our greatest joy in his laughter is him? Does he know that we are taking him in, drinking him up? I don’t think he does and I think this correlates to how the Lord feels towards us.



Every day He tickles us with beauty, every day he orders our steps, every day He gives us breath and sustenance of some sort no matter what we face and much of the time; while His delight over us is in abundance, we respond to the product but not the producer, not to the one who breathes life but the breath, not to the one who clears the thickets and brings the comfort but the open space and the shelter.

Oh but what happens when our eyes lock, when we look back and laugh, when we look to Him and acknowledge? The sparks fly, our hearts collide and we are all wrapped up in Him! One of my favorite quotes is by John Piper who states “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him” (Desiring God). I always feel like my Father is saying “Look up!” “Look up little one!” Look up into the eyes of the one who sustains; look up into the eyes of the one who is your comfort, look up to the one who will bring you through, look up to the One who delights over you!

Zephaniah 3:17 –The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”



Today Lord I want to meet your eyes as you extend to me, I want to see you in it all, help me to “Look up”. You are the beginning and the end, all there is to want is in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment